Wednesday, February 15, 2012

My Existence Statement ....

Whilst continuing my Scrum/Agile journey, I have found that it is very easy to loose ones way and forget the fundamental reason why we as ScrumMasters/Coachs are in the roles that we hold. Many businesses initially (and sometimes never) truly understand the role that the Coach plays.

Im my current coaching role I am also looked upon as the development teams manager, a technical conduit to the team, a technical resource in my own right and a business analysis resource for non product related projects. Certainly not ideal and has proved to be extremely challenging to juggle all of these hats.

Towards the end of last year and the beginning of this year this, multi hat swapping almost proved too much for me and I felt that the core reason why I was there had been muddied or lost at worst.

Working with another Coach I was challenged to develop my own "existence" statement, a saying or mantra if you will that I could have near me at all times to remind me why I was there and what the primary value was I give the teams I am working with.

You might think that this is a trivial exercise but actually proved to be quite difficult.

Here is the framework for process:

  • Visualise what you believe to be your reasons for being in the role
  • Video yourself expressing these reasons, feelings etc for 4-6 mins
  • Once you are in the mind set start working on the statement "I am the ________ that causes ______"
  • When you find a statement that truly resonates then re-record that saying it a few times
What is most important in this process is you focus on what you care most deeply about with regards to your role. Without this the statement is just words.

This process took me 3 or 4 goes before I was able to capture my statement, which is now written up and very visual on my desk.

Here is the statement I came up with:

"I am the passionate, resonating force that causes my team to meet its commitment and helps set the path to truly astounding results"

This statement doesn't need to be set in stone and if what you care about or the focus you are trying to work on changes so too can this statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment